Disability compensation is a benefit paid to Veterans because of injuries or disease that happened during active duty. In some cases, an existing disease or injury was worsened due to active military service. This benefit is also paid to certain Veterans disabled from VA health care. The benefits are tax-free.
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible for disability compensation if:
• You have a service-related disability or illness.
• Your discharge was not dishonorable.
How much does VA pay?
The amount of benefit pay varies depending on your disability. You may be paid additional amounts if:
• You have very severe disability(ies) or loss of limb(s).
• You have a spouse, child(ren) or dependent parent(s).
What documentation to bring with you to your meeting with your Fresno County Veteran Service Representative
- DD214 and/or discharge paperwork
- Social security number for both Veteran and Spouse
- If married, a copy of current marriage certificate; plus, all past divorce papers and/or death certificates.
- Dependents under 18 or attending college - Copy of Birth Certificates and Social Security Numbers
- All civilian medical records of all possible service-connected disabilities that you wish to file for.
- If you see any VA Clinic / Hospital - a copy of our diagnoses is needed.
- Direct Deposit Information to include routing number, account number, and Bank Name.