If applicable, bring the following documents when filing a claim for VA benefits:
- DD214's and/or discharge documents
- Marriage Certificate
- Previous Marriage / Divorce decrees
- Birth Certificates for self & all dependent family members
- Death Certificate
- Adoption Documents
- Naturalization / Immigration Documents
- VA Decision Letters in chronological order
- Summary / Supportive letters from doctors
- Copy of personal health summary
- Copy of medical directive / advance care planning
- Copy of last will or living trust
- Known location of all insurance documents
- Copy of burial pre-planning documents
- Medical records can be filed as you wish, but must be easily accessible. You may have hard copies, CD, or both. Suggest a separate file folder for each disability.
- Copy of Medicare, Medical and any other medical/health insurance documents.
Next of kin or designated other should be informed about the location of the above mentioned documents.