Recipient FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Share of Cost?

A share of cost is a dollar amount you are responsible to pay to the provider as part of their wages.  IHSS recipients that have Medi-cal with a share of cost should not pay their IHSS provider any monies until they have received a letter from the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) instructing them to pay (a letter will arrive after each timesheet if a share of cost payment is required).

What are Authorized Services?

Authorized services are the tasks that have been approved by the Social Worker for your provider to help you.  It's important to remember that IHSS will only pay for services that are authorized. 

Services authorized by IHSS to help you remain safely in your home include:

  • Domestic (housekeeping)
  • Related Services (meal preparation, meal clean-up, laundry, shopping for food and errands)
  • Personal Care (assistance with: ambulation, transfers, respiration, bathing/hygiene, dressing, eating, bowel and bladder, medications, repositioning and Paramedical)
  • Accompaniment to medical appointments
  • Protective Supervision for persons with cognitive impairments

Examples of services that IHSS does not authorize:

  • Pet Care
  • Reading or translation assistance
  • Transportation (unless IHSS-related tasks are required to/from medical appointments)

What are my responsibilities as an IHSS recipient?

When approved for IHSS, it is your responsibility to:

  • Find, hire, train, schedule, supervise and fire care providers
  • Review and approve provider timesheets
  • Inform IHSS when you fire or hire new providers.

The IHSS Social Worker must be notified within 10 days if any of the following occurs:

  • Your health changes and you are hospitalized or placed in a nursing or rehab facility.
  • You moved or changed your phone number, fill out the Change of Address/Telephone (SOC 840) form and send it to the IHSS Office.
  • There are changes in your living situation, such as:
    • There has been a significant change in your need for assistance
    • There are more or less people living in your home
    • Your financial situation changed
    • You will be temporarily away from your home