How Do I Apply?
Applications for IHSS can be made by calling our office at (559) 600-6666 (Option 1).
Once an application is made, the information becomes confidential and IHSS will not be able to provide updates on the status of the application made on behalf of someone other than yourself.
Where to Apply?
To apply for IHSS, call the Fresno County IHSS program (559) 600-6666 (Option 1) and ask to speak with an Interviewer of the Day. If you need translation services, staff can call you back using an interpreter service.
Information Needed to Apply for IHSS
Whether you are calling to apply for IHSS on your own behalf or on the behalf of someone else, please have as much of the following information as possible.
- Full Name
- Home address (and mailing address, if different)
- Telephone number
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Marital Status
- Preferred spoken and written language
- Information on income sources
- Name and phone number of a back-up contact
It is important to let the staff member know if you or the person on whose behalf you are calling is:
- Terminally ill and receiving hospice
- About to be discharged from a hospital, rehab or nursing home
- Has a caregiver or someone directing their care
- Has a mental impairment
- Difficulties with communication (language, speech impediments)
- Involvement with other community agencies (ex. Central Valley Regional Center (CVRC), Fresno Madera Area Agency on Aging (FMAAA)).
Application Process Overview
- Application is taken by IHSS over the phone or in-person - your case number will be given when you apply.
- If not already approved for Medi-Cal, applicants will be referred to apply.
- The Health Care Certification form will be mailed to you to take to your physician.
- An IHSS Social Worker will visit you at your home to discuss your functional strengths and limitations to evaluate if IHSS will help you remain safely at home. The Social Worker will also review information provided by your physician on the Health Care Certification.
- The IHSS Social Worker will send you a notice to let you know if you have been approved or denied for IHSS.
- If approved, your notice lists the services and hours that you have been authorized.
- If denied, your notice will list why you were not approved.