Requests for Recorded Documents can be made
in person, by mailing a completed application for a certified copy of a vital record, or our self service page. We do not accept requests for copies by phone, fax, or email. Copies can be ordered online through an independent partner company that will mail the documents to you. Details are on the Ordering Records Online page.
Be sure the information you supply is complete and accurate. If you request a copy of an official record and we cannot find it, we are not able to refund the fee. The California Statutes require us to retain it as a search fee. See our fee schedule page.
Our location, hours, and mailing address can be found on our Contact Information page.
Check our calendar for dates closed if you will be requesting copies in person. The Fresno County Department of Public Health can also provide birth and death certificates for the current and previous year only.
California birth, death, fetal death, still birth, marriage, and divorce records are also maintained by California Department of Public Health Vital Records (CDPH). They have information and forms to correct or amend a record, add or change a parent's name, preparing new certificates for adoptions, and changes in paternity information.
Anyone may obtain a restricted certified copy of a death record. The record is for informational purposes only and may not be used to establish identity. Restricted copies will have across the face of the document the words:
"INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY"
To obtain an unrestricted certified copy of a death record you must be one of the following:
- The parent or legal guardian of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate
- Any funeral director who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code
What you need to provide:
|If you order by mail|
|The fee is $21.00 for each copy. You may pay in cash, check or money order payable to Fresno County Recorder.||The Fee is $21.00 for each copy. A check or money order for the full amount payable to Fresno County Recorder must accompany the order. Do not send cash.|