Requests for Recorded Documents can be made in person, by mail, or by using the self service page if you will be picking up the copies in person. We do not accept requests for copies of documents by phone, fax, or email. Some documents can be ordered online through an independent partner company that will mail the documents to you. Details and a link to their site are on the Ordering Records Online page.
Be sure the information you supply is complete and accurate. If you request a copy of an official record and we find nothing, we are not able to refund the fee. The California Statutes require us to retain the fee as a search fee. See our fee schedule.
Our location, hours, and mailing address are on our Contact us page. The Fresno County Department of Public Health can also provide birth and death certificates for the current and previous year only.
California birth, death, fetal death, still birth, marriage, and divorce records are also maintained by California Department of Public Health Vital Records (CDPH). They have information and forms to correct or amend a record, add or change a parent's name, preparing new certificates for adoptions, and changes in paternity information.
Anyone may obtain a restricted certified copy of a birth or death record. The record is for informational purposes only and may not be used to establish identity. Restricted copies will have across the face of the document the words:
"INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY"
If you need a certified copy to obtain a driver's license, passport, or register for insurance coverage you should not use a restricted certified copy of a birth or death record. To obtain an unrestricted certified copy of a birth record you must be one of the following:
- The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate
- Any funeral director who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code
What you need to provide:
|If you order in person||If you order by mail|
|You may pay in cash, check, or money order payable to Fresno County Recorder.||A check or money order for the full amount, payable to Fresno County Recorder, must accompany the order. Do not send cash.|