About the SPAN Program
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the State Physical Activity and Nutrition (SPAN) program addresses local level nutrition and physical activity interventions that support health, nutrition, safe and accessible physical activity, and breastfeeding accommodations. Fresno County was one of five counties selected by CDPH for local interventions.
The SPAN program will serve communities through local partnerships with California Health Collaborative and Fresno County Superintendent of Schools, Safe and Healthy Kids to promote and deliver resources and training to Implement food service guidelines, support breastfeeding, nutrition, and physical activity standards.
Goals of the SPAN Program
- Implement food service guidelines in worksites and concessions to increase availability of healthy food.
- Support breastfeeding in birthing facilities, the community, and workplace.
- Improve nutrition and physical activity standards in early care and education.
- Implement efforts to establish new or improved transportation systems.
Help make our communities walkable
Click on the video below to learn more
- Active Transportation Resource Center
- California Walks
- Berkeley Safe Transportation Research and Education Center
- Fresno Council of Governments Active Transportation Program
- 9 Steps to Breastfeeding Friendly: Guidelines for Community Health Centers & Outpatient Care Settings
- Give Mom a Break: New Lactation Accommodation Rules for 2020
- State of California Department of Industrial Relations: Lactation Accommodation
Early Childcare Education:
- Physical Activity Toolkit for Preschool-Aged Children (English)
- Physical Activity Toolkit for Preschool-Aged Children (Spanish)
- State Obesity Prevention Efforts Targeting the Early Care & Education Setting (April 2018)
- Breastfeeding and Early Care Education
- Spectrum of Opportunities
Food Service Guidelines:
- Food Service Guide: Federal Facilities
- Sample: Food Service Guideline Policy
- Exceed The Tool For Using Healthy Food Service Guidelines
- Healthy Hospital Environments
- Guidelines for Federal Concessions and Vending Operations