Q: How do I make a new submittal if there have been no changes from my last submittal?

A: If there have been no changes to personnel, contact information (email addresses are particularly important), hazardous materials types or quantities or site plan elements CERS offers an expedited way to resubmit. You must first log in to CERS and begin a new submittal. Refer to this document for guidance. 

Q: Can I add a New User to my CERS Account?

A: It is easy to authorize someone to have access to your facilities in CERS. This brief document shows how to add a new person/user to your CERS business who does not already have a CERS Account.

A suggested Best Practice is to assign at least two Lead Users. Why? If you limit to one and that person is no longer there, the business will need to contact the local UPA or CalEPA for access permission.

Q: Can a business annually submit only the Facility Information submittal element with a comment that there has been no change to the Hazardous Materials Inventory Statement (HMIS) to meet the requirement for an annual resubmittal or certification?

A: No. In CERS, the first two pages have been created as the Facility Information submittal element and the second two as the HMIS submittal element. The business meets the reporting requirement of 19 CCR section 2652 by electronically submitting both the Facility Information and the HMIS submittal elements. Reporting only the Facility submittal element does not meet this requirement.

Q: Can a facility that generates hazardous waste rarely, but routinely, use a temporary EPA ID Number? How should a facility that generates hazardous waste rarely, but routinely, answer the Business Activities question, “Does your facility generate Hazardous Waste?”

A: Refer to this document for questions related to sites that use a Temporary EPA ID or that rarely, but routinely, generate hazardous waste.

Q: I'm not sure how to report on CERS. Is there any help available?

A: Help is available in multiple formats: our CERS Page, a video provided by San Diego County or you can call our CUPA Specialist of the Day and make an appointment with your assigned inspector - (559) 600-3271

Q: What does an inspector do when he or she inspects my facility/business?

A:  The inspector has many things to do when conducting an inspection. Primarily, he or she inspects the facility to determine if it complies with Federal, State and Local regulations. Sometimes an inspection is confined to a specific problem resulting from a complaint. Other times the inspection may be very comprehensive. All inspections are conducted with the intent to observe conditions which may contribute to exposure of a hazardous material or waste to the public or employees. All problems noted during the inspection are brought to the attention of the management and violations are required to be corrected typically within 30 days.

Q: Where do I take my Household Hazardous Waste?

A:  The Household Hazardous Waste Program is managed by the Fresno County Public Works Department. For more information on Household Hazardous Waste visit the Public Works and Planning Household Hazardous Waste Page or call the Resource Division at (559) 600-4259

Have a question that wasn't answered? Send us an email: HazMatCUPA@fresnocountyca.gov 


State Water Resource Control Board

California Health & Safety Code

California CUPA Forum

California Department of Toxic Substances Control