The Emergency Response Team (ERT) provides assistance to the public and other agencies by responding to hazardous materials spills and accidents, and to non-business hours emergencies. Situations may occur in all Environmental Health program areas. Examples include:
- Food and water borne illness investigations;
- Rabies control reporting;
- Hazardous materials spills and accidents;
- Clandestine drug labs;
- Pesticide exposures; and,
- Sewage spills.
Many of the activities of the Emergency Response Team are State mandated reporting activities.
If an emergency occurs, please call 9-1-1 or your local Fire/Police Agency.
The Emergency Response Team can be reached during business hours at (559) 600-3271 or after hours through the Fresno Sheriff's Office at (559) 600-3111.
(An emergency is a situation that threatens human life, the environment or property and demands immediate attention.)
Role and Responsibility
Personnel specially trained in dealing with these situations analyze the problems and either resolve the matter or stabilize the situation such that it can be handled during regular business hours. The methods used include:
- Contacting the person or agency reporting the problem and gathering information pertinent to remedy the situation.
- Documenting all calls in a report.
- Performing on-site investigations in circumstances where time is critical to protect public health. Examples include when a real and immediate threat to public health or the environment exists (e.g., hazardous materials spill or fire, clandestine drug manufacturing waste, sewage treatment plant failure, earthquake, or flood); and, when investigations and sampling need to occur rapidly to minimize further public health problems (e.g., food borne and water borne illness outbreaks, food establishment fires, or carbon monoxide poisonings).
- The Team functions as an initial response team for the County's Office of Emergency Services by providing on-scene analysis and decision making for any disaster related response or incident (e.g., wild land fires, earthquakes, flooding, dust storms, volcanic eruption, and weapons of mass destruction).
- Cal OES - Governor's Office of Emergency Services
- California Hazardous Material Spill/Release Notification Guidance
- CHEMTREC® The 24-Hour Hazmat Emergency Communications Center
Our Location: 1221 Fulton Street, 3rd Floor
PO Box 11867, Fresno CA 93775-1867
Phone: (559) 600-3357 Fax: (559) 600-7629
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
(Closed 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm)