Our Location: 1221 Fulton Street, 3rd Floor
PO Box 11867, Fresno CA 93775-1867
Phone: (559) 600-3357 Fax: (559) 600-7629
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
(Closed 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm)
Complaints and Foodborne Illnesses
Environmental Health Division receives on average approximately 760 complaints per year regarding unsanitary conditions at food facilities and suspected foodborne illnesses in the County of Fresno. Each complaint is investigated to verify that the food facility is operating in accordance with the safe food handling practices set forth in CalCode. If your complaint is not in our jurisdiction, we will assist you in contacting the appropriate agency(s).
If you have a complaint about a food facility in the County of Fresno, call us at (559) 600-3357. Please have the following information ready when you call:
- Your name, address and phone number. This information is needed in case we need to contact you for additional information regarding the complaint. It is our policy to keep the identity of all complainants confidential.
- The food facility's business name and address.
- If applicable, a description of the unsanitary or unsafe food handling conditions that you observed at the facility including the time of day visited.
For suspected foodborne illness complaints, please have the following information available when you call:
- A detailed description of what you ate from the suspected food facility.
- When you ate the suspected meal, including time of day visited.
- Names and contact information of the people who ate with you.
- What specific symptoms you experienced or are experiencing during your illness and when these symptoms appeared.
- As much detail as you can remember about everything you ate 72 hours (three days) before the onset of illness. Many people have a hard time remembering what they ate three days ago, but this information is critical to help identify the most likely suspect food item.
- Whether or not you have seen a medical doctor, what his or her diagnosis was and/or any test results conducted by a medical facility related to your suspected foodborne illness.