Juvenile Delinquency

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Public Defender's Office plays an important role in providing legal services to minors in the juvenile justice system.

When a juvenile (any person under the age of 18) is formally charged by the Fresno County District Attorney with the commission of an act which violates a criminal law, the juvenile and his or her parents or guardian are ordered to appear at the juvenile court. A juvenile is entitled to appointed counsel.

For general information about juvenile delinquency proceedings, watch this orientation video

For more useful information regarding the juvenile process, check out this JJC pamphlet.

Frequently Asked Questions 

What is a Transfer Hearing?

This is a hearing to decide if a youth will be tried as an adult. If the Judge decides that a youth is “unfit” for juvenile court, he or she will be tried in adult court (youth must be 14 years old when crime was committed).

Can I get my juvenile record expunged or sealed?

Under Welfare and Institutions Code (WIC) Section 781, you are entitled to petition the "Sealing," of your juvenile record if (1) a petition or citation to appear in juvenile court has been filed against you and (2) you are over the age of 18.  This relief is discretionary, meaning, the court must determine that you have not been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving mortal turpitude and rehabilitation has been obtained.  For more information about sealing see the attached flyer.

Juvenile Justice Campus
3333 East American Avenue,
Building 701, Suite E
Fresno, CA 93725
Hours: 8:00am-4:00pm