Placement Unit FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What is Placement?

Out of home placement is not a commitment or form of punishment. Placement facilities (relative homes, tribal member, non-related extended family members (NREFM), foster homes and group homes) are non‑secure/not locked and, therefore, protection of the public as well as the best interest of the minor will be considered in all cases where removal from the home is a possibility. Minors in out of home placement are removed from their home for an indefinite period of time as the Court has determined that the parents are unwilling or unable to provide for the minor's basic care, or that the parents are unwilling or unable to provide the supervision and intervention necessary to deter the minor from further involvement in delinquent activity. This standard is similar but different to the standard used by the Department of Children and Family Services or DCFS.

What types of placements are eligible for youth removed by the Court and placed into foster care?

In order of priority, consideration for placement shall be:

  1. Pre‑placement (family maintenance)  program
  2. Relative's home
  3. Tribal member
  4. Certified home (non-relative)
  5. Foster Family Agency
  6. Group Home
  7. Residential Treatment (Community Treatment Facility) pursuant to section 7950 of the Family Code.

Where is the Placement Unit located?

Juvenile Justice Campus (JJC)
3333 E. American Ave. Fresno, CA. 93725 map
Building 701 Suite B
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (559) 495-0100

How long is my child on probation for?

A placement minor is on probation until Further Order of the Court.

What is the Independent Living Program (ILP)?

This program offers services to youth, ages 15.5 to 21, who are in foster care, or who had been in foster care after their fifteenth and a half birthday. This population includes 300 dependents, wards of guardians, and 600 wards of the Juvenile Court System. The goals of the Independent Living Program are to enable eligible youth to achieve maximum self-sufficiency and independence prior to leaving the foster care system, by providing independent living skills assessments, education, training, services, and a written Transitional Living Plan. ILP staff provide assessment services, independent living skills counseling, referrals to contact community based Organizations, ILP training for Department staff and care provides, and coordination of youth involvement in the California Youth Connection. Our program is committed to providing independent living services to our youth in order to increase the likelihood of their successful transition from foster care to independent and self-sufficient adults.

How soon can my child come home?

It depends on the child’s needs and his/her progress with treatment modalities/counseling in the placement program. Parent participation in the child’s case plan is also a component of reunification. Minors will be returned to their home when it is safe and the deficiencies which necessitated the removal of the minor have been corrected, or when the minor has achieved maximum benefit from services provided by the Placement Unit. When reunification is not possible, a permanent plan or emancipation with independent living will be developed.

Are there other agencies that can help probation foster youth?

Yes here are a list of agencies:

  • California State Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman 1-877-846-1602

    770 East Shaw Avenue, Suite 330, M.S. 29-02
    Fresno, CA 93710
    559) 243-8080 FAX: (559) 243-8088
    Counties: Alpine, Fresno, Inyo, Kings, Madera, Mariposa,
    Merced, Mono and Tulare

    Center Mall Court
    2011 Fresno Street, Suite 301
    Fresno, California 93721
    Phone (559) 265-4003
    Fax (559) 265-4005
    Fresno County Department of Children and Family Services
    Independent Living Program 559 453-6689