Domestic Violence Unit FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Where is the Domestic Violence Unit located?

The Adult Probation/Domestic Violence Unit is located at Fine Street between McKinley Ave. and Clinton Ave.

2048 N. Fine St.
Fresno, CA 93727 map
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (559) 600-1705

How long is my grant of probation?

You will be on probation for a minimum of three years, which may include a period of summary probation, as appropriate.

Can I own a firearm?

No, you cannot own a firearm. According to California Penal Code Section 12021, it is a felony for any person convicted of a felony to be in possession of a firearm.

For a misdemeanor domestic violence conviction, you cannot own a firearm within ten years of the conviction. According to Penal Code Section 12021 (c) (1), a person in possession of a firearm within 10 years of his/her conviction will be charged with a felony.

Can I see my children if the Criminal Protective Order does not apply to the children?

Yes, as long as it does not conflict with any other Court order; however, the arrangements to pick up the children needs to be done through a third party and/or as directed by the Court or Probation.

Contact your assigned Probation Officer for further information.

Can I reside in a different County?

The Probation Officer or the Court may allow you to move to a different county. You are still responsible to appear for your Court hearings and maintain contact with Probation as directed by the Probation Officer.

Can I reside in a different state?

You cannot reside in a different state without the consent of the Court and approval by the receiving state.

Should the Court grant you permission to reside in a different state, your case will be referred to the “Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision.” Contact your assigned Probation Officer for more information.

Can I travel to a different state?

You cannot travel to a different state without the consent of your Probation Officer.

Who can request that the Criminal Protective Order be lifted?

The victim and/or you can request the Criminal Protective Order be lifted; however, the Judge is the only person that can lift or terminate an existing Criminal Protective Order.

Can I have my case reduced or have my felony conviction dismissed?

Yes, you can petition the Court to dismiss your case in accordance with Penal Code Section 1203.4(a). The petition will only set your plea/verdict of guilt aside. It is your obligation to disclose the conviction in response to any direct questions contained in any questionnaire of application for public office, for licensure by any state or local agency, and for contracting with the California State of Lottery.

If I am convicted of a domestic violence-related offense, what is required of me?

Among other things, Penal Code Section 1203.097(a)(6) requires that you attend a 52-week Batterers’ Intervention Program.

Can I attend two or more sessions of my Batterers’ Intervention Program weekly?

No, you can only attend one session of the Batterers’ Intervention Program weekly for 52 weeks.

Will Probation help me find a job?

It is your responsibility to seek and maintain employment. Probation may refer you to another agency for assistance.