In response to the current health crisis, new leaves of absences are available for most County of Fresno employees through the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA). Please view the FFCRA Poster for an overview of the new provisions. This poster should be made available to all employees.
Effective April 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) allows for 10 days (up to 80 hours) of paid leave, known as Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) for the following reasons:
- The employee is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19.
- The employee has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
- The employee is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and seeking a medical diagnosis.
- The employee is caring for an individual who is subject to an order as described in #1 above or has been advised as described in #2.
- The employee is caring for a son or daughter of such employee if the school or place of care of the son or daughter has been closed, or the child-care provider of such son or daughter is unavailable, due to COVID-19 precautions.
- The employee is experiencing any other substantially similar condition specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services in consultation with the Secretary of the Treasury and the Secretary of Labor.
For a more detailed explanation of these 6 reasons, please see the below additional helpful forms:
Pursuant to FFCRA, the County of Fresno may exclude certain employees defined as health care providers and emergency responders from eligibility for emergency paid sick leave and/or expanded family and medical leave. This includes but is not limited to employees in law enforcement, correctional institutions, emergency management personnel and others who are considered health care providers or emergency responders.
If you meet any of these criteria, please contact your department’s personnel representative(s) and complete the necessary forms as directed:
If you meet criterion #5 listed above, you may qualify for the Expanded FMLA paid and protected leave. The Expanded FMLA is also eligible for Integration, which allows you to supplement the shortage of pay experienced from Expanded FMLA with Annual Leave. This ensures stability of income if it’s needed. Advanced Leave Pay and Annual Leave Donations (see below) also can be used for Integration once personal Annual Leave is exhausted. Please contact your personnel representative(s) and complete the necessary forms as directed:
If you have exhausted your personal Annual Leave balance and need additional leave beyond that which is available through the FFCRA for COVID-19 related reasons, you will have two options. You may elect for a leave advance or you may seek Annual Leave donations up to 160 hours. In coordination and consultation with your department personnel representative(s), please complete the forms as directed and as appropriate to your election.
- COVID-19 Leave Triage form*
- Request for Advanced Leave Pay & Agreement for Repayment
- Request for Annual Leave Donations (For Recipients)
If you meet the criteria for any of the above reasons, except for #5, you may qualify for additional protected, unpaid leave. In consultation and coordination with your department’s personnel representative(s) please consult the County’s Employee Reference Page – Leave of Absence.
*The COVID-19 Leave Triage form should only be completed once and then amended if new circumstances require additional information on the form.