Funds were granted from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, to the Fresno County District Attorney's Office to fund the Impaired Vertical Prosecution Program for the 2019 Federal fiscal year.
To prevent a DUI, you can take the following precautions:
- DO NOT drive while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Make a decision to drive responsibly.
- Make a decision NEVER to ride with anyone who has been drinking to the point of impairment.
- Make a decision NEVER to ride with anyone who may be under the influence of drugs.
- Designate a driver ahead of time. A designated driver is a non-drinking driver.
- Always buckle up. A safety belt is the best protection in a crash.
- Be a responsible drinker.
- Be responsible when using prescription medication.
- Be a defensive, alert driver and report suspected DUI drivers to law enforcement.
- Take other transportation:
- A cab
- Call a friend or relative
- Use public transportation
- Support efforts to strengthen anti-DUI laws in our community.
- A DUI can cost you your freedom if convicted. Anywhere from a day, to a year in jail, to a decade or more in prison.
- A DUI can cost you several thousand dollars for DUI classes, court fines and costs, attorney’s fees, time off work, etc.
- A DUI collision can cost you serious injury, damage to your vehicle, or your life.
- A DUI collision can cause serious injury or death to others such as pedestrians, cyclists, those in your vehicle or those in other vehicles involved in the collision.A DUI collision in which someone is killed can be charged as murder:
- BE ADVISED: Driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs impairs the driver’s ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. It is extremely dangerous to human life to drive while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. If you continue to drive while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, and as a result of that driving, someone is killed, you can be charged with murder.
- 50% of Americans will be involved in an alcohol-involved traffic collision in his/her lifetime.
- Nearly 23,000 people are killed every year in alcohol-related traffic collisions.
- One American life is lost every 22 minutes in an alcohol-related traffic collision.
- In California, the average alcohol-related fatality costs $3.8 million, including $1 million in monetary costs and $2.8 million in quality of life losses.
- A 12 oz. can of beer, a 5 oz. glass of wine, and a 1.5 oz. shot of liquor all have about the same amount of alcohol.
- An individual's critical driving skills can become impaired at blood alcohol levels well below the legal limit.
- Alcohol dissipates at a rate of 0.015 to 0.02 per hour. Drinking coffee or other methods to speed up the process of dissipation are not effective. Therefore, be aware of your intake and how long it’s been before deciding to drive, or better yet, take other transportation as recommended above
- A DUI can cost you approximately $7,000.
- Fresno County DA DUI Unit: (559) 600-3141
- Fresno Police Dept. DUI Unit: (559) 621-5050
- Central Valley MADD: (559) 785-2600
- CHP DUI Unit: (559) 441-5441
- Alcoholics Anonymous: (559) 221-6907
- Narcotics Anonymous: (559) 255-5881
- Addiction Intervention Resources: (888) 852-5869