|If any questions or concerns please call: (559) 600-2575|
Applying for a Passport:
To apply for a passport, follow the steps below.
- Apply in person for a passport at our office located at 2220 Tulare Street, County Plaza, 1st Floor, Fresno, California.
- Applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Appointments are not accepted. Customers are seen on a first come, first served basis.
- You are required to have the following with you at the time of application:
- Completed application (using black ink only). Applications can be obtained from the Department of State website under Passport Forms.
- Evidence of your U.S. citizenship (either a birth certificate or naturalization certificate). You must present the original and one photocopy.
- Valid form of identification, such as a driver’s license, state ID card or military ID card. You must present the original and one photocopy with the front and back of the document on the same page.
- Appropriate fee payable to the Department of State and a separate payment to the County of Fresno. Please see Passport Fees.
- One passport photo taken by a facility specializing in passport photos. Requirements for Passport Photos can be found at the Department of State's website.
- You are required to provide your social security number (SSN) on all applications. If you are a new U.S. citizen, please visit the Social Security Administration office to update your information before applying for your passport.
- Normal processing is 4-6 weeks. Expedited service is 2-3 weeks (additional fees apply).
- A passport book is required for international travel either by air, sea or land.
- A passport card is used for travel by persons who live near the border and must drive back and forth frequently. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.
- Minor applicants are those persons who are 0 to 15 years of age. Minors needing a passport must have both parents present when applying. Minors’ passports are valid for 5 years.
- Adult passports are valid for 10 years.
- The Department of State fees may only be paid by check or money order.
- The passport acceptance facility fee may be paid in cash, check, credit or debit card.
- The County Clerk's office is able to provide passport photo service for a fee of $6.00 per picture.
- We do offer photocopy services for a minimal per copy fee.
- Vital documents (such as your birth certificate) that are submitted at the time of your application acceptance will be returned to you by the Department of State.
- Adult passport renewals can be done directly with the Department of State if the passport has not already expired. Instructions can be found at the Department of State's website. All other renewals require you to visit an acceptance facility.