|If any questions or concerns please email Clerk-Services@FresnoCountyCa.gov or call: (559) 600-2575|
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY (Updated July 6, 2020)
In light of COVID-19, public access to the County Clerk’s office at 2220 Tulare Street, 1st Floor, Fresno is restricted.
Fictitious Business Names, CEQA filings, Notary filings, and requests for Copies of Confidential Marriage Certificates are being processed via mail only.
Notary signature services have been suspended until further notice.
Passport Acceptance Services are offered by appointment only. Please click here Schedule Appointment to schedule an appointment. Passport acceptance hours are 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM Monday-Friday.
Marriage License and Ceremony Information
- Issuance of Marriage Licenses and Civil Ceremonies are by appointment only.
Please click here Schedule Appointment to schedule an appointment. Customers do not need to schedule a separate appointment for their ceremony. The marriage license appointment link can be used for both services.
- Ceremony appointments are limited to the couple and a maximum of four guests.
- As of April 30, 2020, Executive Order N-58-20 allows for the issuance of Marriage Licenses via videoconferencing at the discretion of the County Clerk. Our office is not issuing marriage licenses or performing ceremonies via video conference at this time. Fresno County is currently researching the technological equipment and process changes which would be required for this possible conversion.
Notary Commission Information
As of May 8, 2020 Executive Order N-63-20 extends for 60 days the expiration dates for notaries public whose commissions are set to expire.
The Order reads, in part:
6) The term of office specified in Government Code section 8204 is extended for a period of 60 days for any notary public whose commission has expired since March 1, 2020 or whose commission is set to expire over the next 60 days, on the conditions that:
a) The notary public shall annotate on each notarial act completed during the extension the following: “The notary commission extended pursuant to Executive Order N-63-20.”; and
b) The notary public shall maintain a valid surety bond pursuant to Government Code section 8212 during the extension.
The full text of the order is available here.
Please direct questions to our email address: Clerk-Services@FresnoCountyCa.gov or call 559-600-CLRK (2575).
We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. Our goal is to keep both the community, and our staff, safe.
Applying for a Passport:
To apply for a passport, follow the steps below.
- Apply in person for a passport at our office located at 2220 Tulare Street, County Plaza, 1st Floor, Fresno, California.
- Applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Applications are by appointment only until further notice. Please click here Schedule Appointment to schedule an appointment.
- You are required to have the following with you at the time of application:
- Completed application (using black ink only). Applications can be obtained from the Department of State website under Passport Forms.
- Evidence of your U.S. citizenship (either a birth certificate or naturalization certificate). You must present the original and one black and white photocopy.
- Valid form of identification, such as a driver’s license, state ID card or military ID card. You must present the original and one photocopy with the front and back of the document on the same page.
- Appropriate fee payable to the Department of State and a separate payment to the County of Fresno. The Department of State fees may only be paid by check or money order. Please see Passport Fees.
- One passport photo taken by a facility specializing in passport photos. Requirements for Passport Photos can be found at the Department of State's website.
- You are required to provide your social security number (SSN) on all applications. If you are a new U.S. citizen, please visit the Social Security Administration office to update your information before applying for your passport.
- Due to COVID-19, the U.S. Department of State has reduced their passport operations. Customers should anticipate an extended processing time. Expedited services are not available until further notice.
- A passport book is required for international travel either by air, sea or land.
- A passport card is used for travel by persons who live near the border and must drive back and forth frequently. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.
- Minor applicants are those persons who are 0 to 15 years of age. Minors needing a passport must be present and have both parents present when applying. Minors’ passports are valid for 5 years.
- Adult passports are valid for 10 years.
- The Department of State fees may only be paid by check or money order.
- The passport acceptance facility fee may be paid in cash, check (payable to Fresno County Clerk), credit or debit card.
- The County Clerk's office is able to provide passport photo service for a fee of $6.00 per picture.
- We do offer photocopy services for a minimal per copy fee.
- Vital documents (such as your birth certificate) that are submitted at the time of your application acceptance, will be returned to you by the Department of State.
- Adult passport renewals can be done directly with the Department of State if the passport has not already expired. Instructions can be found at the Department of State's website. All other renewals require you to visit an acceptance facility.