|If any questions or concerns please call: (559) 600-2575|
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY (Updated March 23, 2020)
Until further notice we will restrict public access to the County Clerk office at 2220 Tulare Street, 1st Floor, Fresno. However, County Clerk personnel continue to process transactions received by mail.
- Fictitious Business Names, EIR, Notary filings and requests for Confidential Marriage Certificates, must be submitted by mail.
- Passport Acceptance services, wedding ceremonies, notary services have been suspended until further notice.
- Call 559-600-2575 for information regarding Issuance of Marriage Licenses to Fresno County residents.
Please direct any questions to our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 559-600-CLRK (2575).
We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. Our goal is to keep both the community, and our staff, safe.
Notice: Our office does not provide copies of public marriage certificates. To obtain a copy of your marriage certificate please call the County of Fresno Recorder’s Office at 559-600-3471 or visit their website. Information about obtaining a copy of a confidential marriage certificate can be found below.
- Marriage licenses are issued Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Customers are seen on a first come, first served basis. Appointments are not accepted
- You must apply for a marriage license before your marriage license can be finalized in any ceremony.
To obtain your marriage license, follow the steps below.
- Both parties must:
- Appear together and present valid and authentic government-issued photo identification with proof of age. (Driver’s License, State Identification Cards, Military Service or Military Dependent ID Card, Naturalization Certificate, Passport, Alien Registration Card, ID Card issued by the U.S. Government or another country).
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Provide full names of your parents and your state/county of birth.
- Provide dissolution status of previous marriages, complete with dates, if applicable.
- Appropriate fees, paid by cash or credit/debit card. No checks or $100 currency will be accepted.
- Public Marriage License Fee $58
- Confidential Marriage License Fee $69
- Civil Ceremony Fee $21
- The Fresno County Clerk’s office can perform your civil ceremony Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Customers are seen on a first come, first served basis. Appointments are not accepted.
- Due to the size of our lobby, the wedding party may not exceed 12 people including the bride, groom, and any children.
- Fee is $21 payable by cash or credit/debit only. Checks are not accepted.
- While no particular wording is required for solemnization of the marriage, both parties should declare, in the presence of the person solemnizing the marriage and at least one witness, that they take each other as spouses.
- Cultural or religious ceremonies are not legally recognized in the State of California.
- A marriage license must be obtained from the County Clerk’s office prior to having a civil ceremony.
- It is the responsibility of the parties to be married to verify that the officiant is authorized in the State of California to solemnize the marriage ceremony. (For more information, see Family Code Section 400).
- No residency requirement for either party.
- Licenses can be purchased in any county.
- Licenses can be used anywhere in the State of California. The license, when used, must be returned to the county of purchase.
- You can purchase copies of your public marriage license from the Recorder’s Office in the county where it was purchased
- Fee is $58 payable by cash or credit/debit only. No checks will be accepted.
- Parties must be living together at the same residence.
- Licenses can be purchased in any county.
- Licenses can be used anywhere in the State of California. The license, when used, must be returned to the county of purchase
- Fee is $69 payable by cash or credit/debit only. No checks will be accepted.
- Certified copies of a confidential marriage license may be obtained only by the parties to the marriage or by court order. You may obtain copies either in person or by mail for $15 per copy. If requesting a copy by mail, please submit a Confidential Marriage Certificate Application along with payment.
There are very specific rules for changing your name after you are married. The Name Equality Act of 2007 gives specific information that you must follow. Please take the time to read the information at the link above. If you still have specific questions about changing your name, contact us for further assistance, or contact the California Department of Public Health Vital Records, Customer Service Unit at (916) 445-2684. If you have specific questions about how the changes may legally affect you or if you have legal questions about the Name Equality Act, you should consult with a private attorney.
The Fresno County Clerk’s office suggests that you notify the following agencies of your name change:
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Voter Registration
- Credit card agencies
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Utility companies
- United States Post Office (USPS)
- Department of State – Passport Services
- Financial Institutions
- Your employer