|If any questions or concerns please email Clerk-Services@FresnoCountyCa.gov or call: (559) 600-2575|
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY (Updated July 6, 2020)
In light of COVID-19, public access to the County Clerk’s office at 2220 Tulare Street, 1st Floor, Fresno is restricted.
Fictitious Business Names, CEQA filings, Notary filings, and requests for Copies of Confidential Marriage Certificates are being processed via mail only.
Notary signature services have been suspended until further notice.
Passport Acceptance Services are offered by appointment only. Please click here Schedule Appointment to schedule an appointment. Passport acceptance hours are 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM Monday-Friday.
Marriage License and Ceremony Information
- Issuance of Marriage Licenses and Civil Ceremonies are by appointment only.
Please click here Schedule Appointment to schedule an appointment. Customers do not need to schedule a separate appointment for their ceremony. The marriage license appointment link can be used for both services.
- Ceremony appointments are limited to the couple and a maximum of four guests.
- As of April 30, 2020, Executive Order N-58-20 allows for the issuance of Marriage Licenses via videoconferencing at the discretion of the County Clerk. Our office is not issuing marriage licenses or performing ceremonies via video conference at this time. Fresno County is currently researching the technological equipment and process changes which would be required for this possible conversion.
Notary Commission Information
As of May 8, 2020 Executive Order N-63-20 extends for 60 days the expiration dates for notaries public whose commissions are set to expire.
The Order reads, in part:
6) The term of office specified in Government Code section 8204 is extended for a period of 60 days for any notary public whose commission has expired since March 1, 2020 or whose commission is set to expire over the next 60 days, on the conditions that:
a) The notary public shall annotate on each notarial act completed during the extension the following: “The notary commission extended pursuant to Executive Order N-63-20.”; and
b) The notary public shall maintain a valid surety bond pursuant to Government Code section 8212 during the extension.
The full text of the order is available here.
Please direct questions to our email address: Clerk-Services@FresnoCountyCa.gov or call 559-600-CLRK (2575).
We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. Our goal is to keep both the community, and our staff, safe.
What is a Fictitious Business Name?
A FBN Statement is a public record intended to make available to the public the identities of persons doing business under the FBN. FBN filings are required pursuant to California State Business & Professions Code Sections 14411 and 17900.
Who Should File?
- Persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name (does not include surname in company name) or implies additional owners such as, “and Associates.”
- Corporations, limited liability companies or limited partnerships, doing business under any name other than the exact name on record with the Secretary of State's Office.
- The statement must be filed in county of principal place of business.
- Non-profit corporations, organizations or associations are not required to file an FBN.
How Do I Apply?
Submit your Application for Fictitious Business Name by US Mail to 2221 Kern Street, Fresno, California 93721. Applications are processed within 3 – 5 business days after receipt, not including delivery time frames.
- Application fees are $35 for the first name and an additional $7.00 for each additional name. See Fee Schedules for additional fees. Checks should be made payable to Fresno County Clerk. Mailed applications without proper payment will be rejected.
- When preparing your statement, ensure the statement is correct and complete before filing. Once your statement has been filed, changes cannot be made, and refunds cannot be issued. A new statement will need to be filed and published.
- Original or “wet” signatures are required on all filings. Digital signatures are not accepted.
- New FBN filings must be published by the registrant in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the principal place of business is located. See List of Adjudicated Newspapers for reference.
When Should I Apply?
FBN statements are to be filed no later than forty (40) days from the start of conducting business.
FBN statements are valid for five (5) years. You must re-file every 5 years and pay current fees, even if there are no changes. You are not required to republish a renewal if the information does not change. FBN statements have a 40-day grace period following the date of expiration for filing a renewal. Submit your Application for Fictitious Business Name by US Mail to 2221 Kern Street, Fresno, California 93721. Applications are processed within 3 – 5 business days after receipt, not including delivery time frames.
How do I make changes to an existing FBN?
If any change occurred in the facts of the original statement, other than a change of residence address for owner, partner, officer etc., a new FBN Statement must be filed and published in a newspaper of general circulation.
If the business is sold, the original owner must file and publish a Statement of Abandonment.