|If any questions or concerns please call: (559) 600-2575|
Notice: Customers visiting our office on Friday, February 14 (Valentine’s Day) will experience unusually long wait times due to a large number of wedding ceremonies. We apologize for the inconvenience.What is a Fictitious Business Name?
A FBN Statement is a public record intended to make available to the public the identities of persons doing business under the FBN. FBN filings are required pursuant to California State Business & Professions Code Sections 14411 and 17900.
Who Should File?
- Persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name (does not include surname in company name) or implies additional owners such as, “and Associates.”
- Corporations, limited liability companies or limited partnerships, doing business under any name other than the exact name on record with the Secretary of State's Office.
- The statement must be filed in county of principal place of business.
- Non-profit corporations, organizations or associations are not required to file an FBN.
How Do I Apply?
Submit your Application for Fictitious Business Name by US Mail to 2221 Kern Street, Fresno, California 93721. Applications are processed within 3 – 5 business days after receipt, not including delivery time frames.
- Application fees are $35 for the first name and an additional $7.00 for each additional name. See Fee Schedules for additional fees. Checks should be made payable to Fresno County Clerk. Mailed applications without proper payment will be rejected.
- When preparing your statement, ensure the statement is correct and complete before filing. Once your statement has been filed, changes cannot be made, and refunds cannot be issued. A new statement will need to be filed and published.
- Original or “wet” signatures are required on all filings. Digital signatures are not accepted.
- New FBN filings must be published by the registrant in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the principal place of business is located. See List of Adjudicated Newspapers for reference.
Registrants may also apply in person at 2220 Tulare Street, County Plaza, 1st Floor, Fresno, California.
When Should I Apply?
FBN statements are to be filed no later than forty (40) days from the start of conducting business.
FBN statements are valid for five (5) years. You must re-file every 5 years and pay current fees, even if there are no changes. You are not required to republish a renewal if the information does not change. FBN statements have a 40-day grace period following the date of expiration for filing a renewal.
How do I make changes to an existing FBN?
If any change occurred in the facts of the original statement, other than a change of residence address for owner, partner, officer etc., a new FBN Statement must be filed and published in a newspaper of general circulation.
If the business is sold, the original owner must file and publish a Statement of Abandonment.