Effective July 2, 2019, an $86.00 non-refundable processing fee per application is due at the time of filing with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors made by cash, check or money order payable to the County of Fresno.
Property owners have a right to challenge the Assessor’s opinion of property assessment value, by filing an Assessment Appeal Application (application) with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.
- Property taxes must still be paid while the appeal is pending.
- The Assessment Appeals Board is appointed by the Board of Supervisors to serve as the local board of equalization.
- Please be prepared to submit timely and factual evidence information supporting your opinion if requested by the Assessor’s office and at the appeal hearing proving the Assessor’s office value is incorrect.
- The Assessment Appeals Board will only consider relevant evidence that is presented at the appeal hearing, which is an open public meeting
You may request an informal review of your appeal by contacting the Assessor’s office directly at (559) 600-3534.
Additionally, it is important to know an Assessment Appeals Board can decrease, as well as increase or sustain (not change) an assessment based on the evidence presented at the appeal hearing.
The Assessment Appeals process includes its own terminology. Understanding the meaning of the terms, will make filling out your Application form and preparing for your hearing easier.
Assessment Appeal Application Filing Deadlines
Applications being sent by mail must have a U.S. Postal Service postmark date of the deadline date or earlier. Applications being delivered in person must be received before 5:00 p.m.
Select the type of assessment below to determine the filing deadline for an appeal.
- Regular/Annual Assessments
- Supplemental, Roll Change, and Escape
- Calamity/Natural Disaster
- Base Value
Please note: If the deadline falls on a County holiday or weekend, an application that is mailed and postmarked the next business day shall be deemed to have been timely filed.
The Fresno County Assessment Appeal Application is required to file an appeal in Fresno County and have an original signature. Applications cannot be submitted by e-mail or fax.
Who Can File an Assessment Appeal Application
Applications may be filed by the property owner or the owner’s spouse, parents or child, or by anyone who is affected by the assessment in accordance with Property Tax Rule 305.
Any other person filing an appeal on your behalf, or representing you in the appeals process, is considered an Authorized Agent. An authorized agent is optional and not required to file an appeal. You may change or remove your representative at any time prior to a Hearing being held. Read more on authorized agent requirements.
- Assessment Appeal Application
- Agent's Authorization Form
- Revocation or Substitution of Agent Form
- Withdrawal Appeal Form
- Waiver to Extend Hearing Form
- Pamphlet - Filing your Assessment Appeal
- Pamphlet - Preparing for your Appeals Board Hearing
Information about Assessment Appeals
- To verify assessed value and parcel number
- Preparing for Your Hearing
- Local Rules for the Assessment Appeals Board
- Residential Property Assessment Appeals Publication 30
- CA State Board of Equalization Assessment Appeals
Contact information for the Assessment Appeals Clerk:
Clerk of the Board
2281 Tulare Street, Room 301
Fresno, CA 93721
Phone: (559) 600-3529, option 4
Fax: (559) 600-1608