County of Fresno Dept of Behavioral Health to fund 15 stipends for UC Irvine/UC Davis Train New Trainers (TNT) Primary Care Psychiatry (PCP) Fellowship
FRESNO, CA – The Fresno County Board of Supervisors has approved an agreement between the Fresno County Department of Behavioral Health (DBH) and the Regents of the University of California, on behalf of U. C. Irvine, to fund 15 fellowship stipends in Primary Care Psychiatry (PCP) for Fresno County community-based primary care practitioners. The program, funded through the Mental Health Services Act, will begin January 26, 2018 and run through the end of the year.
The UC Irvine/UC Davis Train New Trainers PCP Fellowship is a year-long clinical education certificate program designed for primary care-oriented health care providers - internal medicine, family medicine, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, psychiatric nursing, emergency medicine and neurology – aimed at providing advanced skills in addressing and treating the most frequently encountered behavioral health-related concerns found in the Primary Care setting, including mental health challenges and substance use disorders.
The program will consist of two-weekend teaching sessions and one hour per month of individualized, in-person or teleconference mentoring sessions with a Fellowship faculty member. Also included will be live, case-based discussions and mock patient interviews with a focus on integrated primary care psychiatry on a twice-monthly basis
The purposes and projected outcomes of this program include:
• Stigma Reduction by advancing wellness- and mental health literacy and providing behavioral health services in non- stigmatizing environments;
• Integration of primary care and behavioral health care in rural and underserved clinics, including FQHCs and other community settings;
• Expansion of behavioral health services, including early intervention through primary care practitioners for mild-to-moderate diagnoses;
• An increase in the number of primary care practitioners in Primary Care Psychiatry who are bilingual and bicultural through the Fellowship’s Train-New-Trainers approach.
Press Release PDF Version
3133 N Millbrook, Fresno, California 93703
(559) 600-6899 * FAX (559) 600--7711 www.co.fresno.ca.us/MHSA
The County of Fresno is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer