Fresno County In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program arranges for and helps pay for services to enable elderly, blind or disabled persons to live safely and independently in their own homes. The Fresno County IHSS program is considered an alternative to out-of-home care, such as nursing homes or board and care facilities. The types of services that can be authorized through IHSS are chores and related services (such as housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry and grocery shopping), and personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing and paramedical services).
How the IHSS Program Works
- After you apply, a social worker will conduct a home visit to discuss your need for IHSS and determine if you are eligible.
- Based on your ability to safely perform certain tasks for yourself, the social worker will assess the types of services IHSS pays for, your level of need and the number of hours that will be authorized for each service.
- This assessment will include information given by you, if when necessary, your family, care givers, physician or other licensed health care professional.
- As part of the application process, you will have to provide IHSS with a Health Care Certification form completed by your physician.
- You will be notified if IHSS has been approved or denied. If denied, you will be notified of the reason for the denial. If approved, you will be notified of the services and number of hours per month that have been authorized to you.
- If you are approved for IHSS, you must hire someone (care provider) to perform the authorized services. You will be considered your care provider's employer and, it is your responsibility to hire, train, supervise and fire your care providers.
- If you are not able to locate a care provider on your own, Fresno County IHSS Public Authority (PA) can give you a list of eligible providers to interview. The PA also has social workers that can assist with the interview process.
- The IHSS programs has two pay periods a month, the 1st to 15th and 16th to the last day of the month. See Provider Payments for more information.
Be an IHSS Advisory Council Member!
The Fresno County IHSS Advisory Committee (IHSS AC) meets on a monthly basis and is dedicated to enhancing the lives of the blind, disabled, and aging community and those who provide for their care. The IHSS AC is a collaboration of the County of Fresno, community agencies and the public.
If you have questions about the IHSS program, call us at (559) 600-5749 or send us an email.