Requests for copies of documents can only be made in person or by mail. We do not accept requests by phone, fax or email. Documents can be ordered online through an independent partner company. Details and a link to their site are on the Ordering Records Online page.
Be sure the information you supply is complete and accurate. If you request a copy of an official record and we find nothing, we are not able to refund the fee. The California Statutes require us to retain the fee as a search fee. See our fee schedule.
Our location, hours, and mailing address are on our Contact us page. Request forms and instructions are located on our forms page. The Fresno County Department of Public Health can also provide birth and death certificates for the current and previous year only.
Anyone may obtain a restricted certified copy of a death record. The record is for informational purposes only and may not be used to establish identity. Restricted copies will have across the face of the document the words:
"INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY"
To obtain an unrestricted certified copy of a death record you must be one of the following:
- The parent or legal guardian of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate
- Any funeral director who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code
What you need to provide:
|If you order in person||If you order by mail|
|You may pay in cash, check or money order payable to Fresno County Recorder.||A check or money order for the full amount, payable to Fresno County Recorder, must accompany the order. Do not send cash.|