General Information

Contact Dept

  • Address:
    2135 Fresno Street, Suite 100
    Fresno, CA 93721
  • DSS Case Information:
    (559) 600-1377 or toll-free (877) 600-1377. To speak to a worker call (559) 600-9980 or toll free (855) 832-8082 between 7:30am-4:30pm.
  • Child Protective Services Hotline:
    (559) 600-8320 and / or (559) 266-2463 Fax Number
  • Elder Abuse/Adult Protective Services Hotline:
    1 (800) 418-1426 or (559) 600-3383 or (559) 230-1976 (Fax Number)
  • Email Department


Mailing Address:
PO Box 1912, Fresno, CA 93718-9888
Attention: 5KXB

Phone: Civil Rights (559) 600-2996   
Welfare Relations (559) 600-6212                 
Civil Rights

The Fresno County Department of Social Services (DSS) has a Civil Rights Coordinator to handle your complaints of discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ethnic group, religion, political affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability. If you feel that you are the victim of discrimination, please contact DSS Civil Rights at once. Please call (559) 600-2996 to speak to someone about your concerns or complete the form below.

You may make a civil rights complaint against any company, agency or community-based organization (CBO) that currently receives DSS funding. You may do so by contacting DSS Civil Rights at the number above. The DSS Civil Rights staff will investigate your claim of civil rights violations just as if it occurred at one of our facilities or by one of our employees.


If you believe your civil rights have been violated in the Medi-Cal program, by a doctor, nurse, hospital or managed care company (Health Net or Blue Cross), then you should call the Ombudsman’s office. The ombudsman’s number is 1-888-452-8609. They can also be reached by email at .


If you have a complaint regarding a worker or other DSS staff member, but do not feel that this person treated you differently because of your race, gender, disability or other protected status, this differs from a civil rights complaint. The best way to resolve a complaint regarding your worker or other staff member is to speak with the worker’s direct supervisor. To find out who your worker’s supervisor is, you can call (559) 600-6212 and tell the operator your worker’s name and that you would like the name and number of the worker’s direct supervisor. You can also ask any worker for their supervisor’s name and number. All workers asked should provide this information. If you have already spoken with the supervisor and are still unhappy, you can call their Program Manager or the Appeals Unit at (559) 600-2801

Links to Other Resources and Complaint Forms:

 California Department of Health Services - Ombudsman California Department of Social Services - Complaint Form
California State Food Stamp Program complaint form US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights

PUB 13: Your Rights under California Welfare Programs
Fresno County Department of Social Services programs are administered based on State and Federal law and regulations, including Title VI of the Civil Right Act of 1964, and California Department of Social Services Manual of Policies and Procedures Division 21. The Publication (PUB) 13 pamphlet describes your rights and explains what you can do if you have a complaint. The information is for persons applying for, receiving, or who have received aid or services.
PUB 13: Audio for Visually Impaired
Audio for the Visually Impaired - English
Audio for the Visually Impaired - Spanish Audio for the Visually Impaired - Russian
Audio for the Visually Impaired - Vietnamese Audio for the Visually Impared - Chinese 

Top of Page