General Information

Contact Dept

  • Address:
    2135 Fresno Street, Suite 100
    Fresno, CA 93721
  • DSS Case Information:
    (559) 600-1377 or toll-free (877) 600-1377. To speak to a worker call (559) 600-9980 or toll free (855) 832-8082 between 7:30am-4:30pm.
  • Child Protective Services Hotline:
    (559) 600-8320 and / or (559) 266-2463 Fax Number
  • Elder Abuse/Adult Protective Services Hotline:
    1 (800) 418-1426 or (559) 600-3383 or (559) 230-1976 (Fax Number)
  • Email Department


CalWORKS Cash Assistance



The California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) Program helps eligible needy families who have children under the age of 19 with cash assistance, Medi-Cal and employment services. Adults may be eligible for benefits up to 48 months. 

CalWORKs provides many benefits to families, including:

  • Cash Aid (via Electronic Benefits Transfer Card or through direct deposit by Electronic Funds Transfer)
  • Welfare To Work services to help families become self-sufficient, including :
    • Child Care
    • Substance abuse and mental health services
    • Transportation costs
    • Job training
    • Up to 12 months of educational assistance
  • Medi-Cal
  • CalFresh (formerly Food Stamps), if eligible

Child(ren), a parent(s), or a needy caretaker relative who cares for the child may be eligible for the CalWORKs Program if the family fits the following descriptions:

Need: The aided child must lack parental support or care because at least one parent is:

  • Deceased; or
  • Either physically or mentally incapacitated; or
  • Not working or working less than 100 hours per month; or
  • Continually absent from the home.

Age: Children may be eligible for CalWORKs until their 18th birthday or are 18 years old and in high school full time and expected to graduate before their 19th birthday.

Property: The property of a child and the parent(s) must be under the following limits:

  • Family members may have $2,000 combined personal and real property per family. Families with elderly members (those who are 60 years of age or older) may have $3,000 combined personal and real property per family. Furniture, clothing and appliances are exempt.
  • The family home is exempt provided the family lives in the home.
  • The value of one registered automobile up to $4,650 is exempt.

Residency: There are no residency requirements for the CalWORKs program. Families who live in California and who intend to continue to live in California may be eligible. CalWORKs eligible family members must be legal residents of the United States. 

CalWORKs Fact Sheet  

 How to Apply  

 Families may apply for CalWORKs at County Offices or online at Adults will be scheduled for a mandatory face-to-face interview with an Eligibility Worker. The interview may take up to two hours. The Eligibility Worker will go over program eligibility and requirements. All adults are required to be fingerprinted and photographed.

The County will ask you for proof of the following: 

  • Social Security Number
  • Income
  • Value of real and personal property
  • Citizenship status
  • Residence in California
  • Work
  • School attendance for children
  • Immunizations for children under age 6

 Families may request for Expedited CalFresh, Immediate Need or Homeless Assistance if they have emergency situations, such as 

  • Lack of food
  • Eviction
  • Utility shut off
  • Medical

 Immediate Need payments may be made for families with emergency situations while the CalWORKs application is being processed (maximum of $200).

Other Programs and Services

A CalWORKs family may qualify for the following programs and benefits:

  • CalFresh (formerly Food Stamps)- Eligible CalWORKs families may qualify for CalFresh to help meet their food needs.
  • Child Care- Families that receive CalWORKs may also be eligible for child care services, such as help paying child care costs. The County will explain to the family what services are available.
  • Child Support- If the family includes a child aided by CalWORKs whose parent is not living with the caretaker, the County will contact the Child Support Department. The Child Support Department will provide child support services, including establishing paternity, enforcing support obligation and collecting support payments.
  • Homeless Assistance-Eligible CalWORKs families may apply for Homeless Assistance benefits to meet their costs for temporary and permanent housing. 
  • Medi-Cal - Each member of the family getting CalWORKs may also qualify for Medi-Cal, which will pay for most medical costs.
  • Welfare To Work - Helps family members obtain the skills or training to find a job. The County will determine if a family must participate in Welfare To Work activities as a requirement for CalWORKs. Families may also volunteer to participate.

 Quarterly Reporting 

The Quarterly Eligibility/Status Report (QR7) is how the County determines your CalWORKs and CalFresh eligibility and benefit amounts. You need to answer every question.  Provide proof when needed. Your QR7 must be signed, dated and turned in by the 5th calendar day of the submit month.  If the QR7 is received incomplete or late, your benefits may be delayed or stopped. 

What you must report on the QR7

  • Income that household members received from ANY source, including but not limited to: earned, unearned, disability, loans, self-employment, yard sales, lottery, casino winnings, etc.
  • You must also report on your QR7 any changes in income that you expect to happen during the next quarter. This includes income from any source, including but not limited to earned, unearned, disability, loans, self-employment, yard sales, etc.
  • Property: Did anyone get, buy, trade, sell or give away any property (land, home, cars, bank accounts)
  • If you move or someone moves into or out of your home or someone has a baby
  • Convicted drug felons, fleeing felons and probation/parole violators
  • Increase/decrease in work hours
  • Someone in your household started or stopped attending school, college, university

 QR7 Sample- English

 QR7 Sample-Spanish

 QR7 Instructions - Introduction

 Frequently Asked Questions 

Q. How much cash aid will my family receive? 
A. The amount you may receive depends on your income and the size of your family. 

Q. When do I receive my benefits? 
A. For CalFresh: you receive benefits on the day of the month that matches the last number in your case.

Example: Case number ends in a 4, you receive your CalFresh on the 4th of every month 

For CalWORKs: You receive your benefits on a day determined by the last number in your case. (Stagger date) 



Last Digit of case serial number

CalWORKs availability day

1, 2, 3

1st day of each month

4, 5, 6, 7

2nd day of each month

8, 9, 0

3rd day of each month


Q. How long will it take for the County to process my CalWORKs application? 
A. The County has 45 days to process your application by law.

Q. How will I get my cash benefits? 
A. You will get a plastic card called an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Card to withdraw cash and buy items. Or you can request direct deposit to your bank account by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).

Q. I have not received a QR7 yet, what do I do? 
A. Click here to print a copy or call our automated phone line to have a new one mailed.

Q. When does my worker change? 
A. If you were just approved for CalWORKs, then you will be getting a new worker soon. Please check the top right side of your Notice of Action (NOA) for worker name.

Q. I applied at one office, why is my worker located somewhere else? 
A. Some offices complete new applications only and depending on your address, the case will be moved to an ongoing worker closest to your home.

Q:  If I received cash benefits last month, who do I call?  
A:  Call your last worker or call our automated phone line.

 Customer Service

You can get information about your active case 24 hours 7 days a week by calling our automated phone line. The automated information is only available in English and Spanish, but you will be able to choose to speak to someone in any other language you need when you call. Before you can access your case information, you will be required to set up a Personal Identification Number (PIN).  Click here for PIN set up.

CalWORKs applicants and recipients have the right to a State Fair Hearing if they believe there are unnecessary delays in processing the application or if they believe their worker did not understand the facts in determining eligibility or in determining grant properly. After the County has taken action on a case, a State Fair Hearing can be requested within 90 days by completing the back of the notice of action and mailing it to the Department. 

 Client Forms