Fictitious Business Names
Application for Fictitious Business Name
Schedule of Fees
Fictitious Business Name Statement Information
• A Fictitious Business Name Statement (FBN) is also known as doing business as (DBA).
• A Fictitious Business Name statement is designed to make available to the public the identities of persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name.
• For an individual, it is a name that does not include the surname (last name) of the individual or a name that suggests the existence of additional owners such as “Company”, “& “Associates” and the like.
• For a corporation, it is a name that is not the same as in the Articles of Incorporation.
• It is recommended that you make inquiry into the name you want to use. You may check the usage of a name by visiting the Fresno County Clerk’s office at 2221 Kern St. and utilizing our public computers to perform a search.
• Filing a name does not reserve the name for your exclusive use. The County Clerk’s office cannot refuse to file an FBN statement because the name is already being used by someone else. If there is a conflict between business owners using the same or similar names, it becomes a legal matter between the business owners.
• All information contained in the statement is a PUBLIC record.
• All FBN’s must be filed no later than forty (40) days from the time you start doing business.
• All FBN’s must be filed with the County Clerk in the county in which the registrant has his/her principal place of business.
• You may file in person at the County Clerk’s office. Applications are accepted Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Payment may be made by cash, check, credit card or money order made payable to Fresno County Clerk.
• You may file by mail. The turnaround time is approximately 1 week from the date received in the mail. • The filer is responsible for confirming that all information in the statement is correct and complete before filing it.
• You cannot make any updates to the statement once it has been filed. Any changes require the filing of a new statement, payment of the filing fees again, and newspaper publication fees.
• FBN statements are valid for five (5) years. If at any time there are changes to the facts of the filing, for example, ownership, business name and/or address change, a new statement must be filed.
• When a business is sold to a new owner, the original owner shall file and publish a Statement of Abandonment.
Statement of Abandonment
• When an individual withdrawals from a multi-partner FBN, a Statement of withdrawal may be filed and published.
Statement of Withdrawal
• Filings must be published in a newspaper of general circulation within the county within 30 days of filing.
• The registrant(s) must provide physical residence address under the registrant information.
• If the registrant is a corporation or an LLC, the address as listed in the Articles of Incorporation along with the State of Incorporation/Organization must be listed.
• New filings, along with changes in the facts of original filings, must be published by the registrant in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the principal place of business is located.
• The first publication must begin within thirty days of the date the statement was filed in the County Clerk’s office. The newspaper will publish once a week for four consecutive weeks. Failure to publish timely will require a new filing along with all filing fees.
• The newspaper will forward the proof of publication to County Clerk’s office following the final publication.
• A reminder notice that a filing is set to expire is mailed from the County Clerk within 60 days of the expiration date. There is a 40 day grace period following the date of expiration. It is the filer’s responsibility to re-file timely.
• There is no need to republish the statement if it is filed timely and there has been no change in the information contained in the previously filed statement.
Mailing an Application
1. Complete and sign an original paper application.
2. Mail your application, along with payment, to the County Clerk’s office at 2221 Kern Street, Fresno, CA 93721.
• If application is complete, certified and publication copies will be sent back to you along with instructions for each copy.
• If application is NOT complete or corrections need to be made, your application, along with your payment, will be returned to you along with a letter stating what information is missing or needs correcting. Please complete and return as soon as possible.
Note: Business & Professions Code 14411 and 17900 are sources of information on FBN’s. The County Clerk Department cannot provide legal advice.
We wish you the best of luck in your business endeavors!
Schedule of Fees
|Fictitious Business Statements:
||One Business Name, One Owner
||Each Additional Business Name
|Each Additional Name
|Statement of Withdrawal
|Statement of Abandonment