General Information

Contact Dept

  • Address:
    Hall of Records, 2281 Tulare Street, Room 302
    Fresno, CA 93721
  • Vital Records (Birth, Death, Marriage):
    (559) 600-3476
  • Recorded Documents:
    (559) 600-3471
  • Email Department

Recorder Frequently Asked Questions



Q. How do I get to the Recorder's Office?
A. Go to our Contact Information page for our address and a map.

Q. Do you supply blank forms for recording documents?
A. No. Most forms are available at stationery or office supply stores. Form BOE 502-A, Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (PCOR), should accompany each document that transfers title of a parcel. The form can be found on our Forms page. It is to be completed by the new owner. If a document is recorded that changes ownership without a PCOR, the Recorder may charge an additional recording fee.

Q. Do I need an attorney to record a document?
A. No, although we strongly recommend that you seek legal advice before recording any document affecting title to property.

Q. How do I fill out my quitclaim deed, grant deed, Affidavit of Death, etc.?
A. State law prohibits us from providing assistance or advice in the preparation of legal documents. You can contact a legal aid service listed in the yellow pages or your legal advisor for assistance in completing legal documents.

Q. How can I find out if liens are filed against me?
A. You can come into our office and do an official record search under your name and find all the documents recorded in which you were a grantor or grantee. Also search under any other names, forms of your name, or business names that the liens could be recorded under. You may view the documents to determine which are liens and which are releases of liens.

Q. I had a lien against me and I paid it off, but a release doesn't show up in your records. Can't you fix your records?
A. Our records only reflect documents submitted for recording by other people, companies, and agencies. If you paid off a lien and no release has been recorded, you have to contact that person, company, or agency who placed the lien against you to get them to record a release.

Q. There are errors on my credit report involving liens that should not be there. Can you take it off my credit report?
A. We do not report to credit agencies, nor can we intervene on the behalf of an individual disputing their credit profile. Documents recorded in our office are public record and are available for search by any interested parties, including credit-reporting agencies. You can dispute errors in your credit record with the credit bureau that is reporting them. Contact the bureau involved to initiate the dispute process. The three largest bureaus are Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union.

Q. I just bought a new house and I'm being solicited about new home items. Someone told me these solicitors got my name, address, and phone number from you. How can I stop you from giving that information out?
A. Most home purchases involve recording deeds with this office. These deeds become public records. Anyone may view the information on these deeds. Some companies are in business to take information from certain kinds of documents and regularly come into this office for that purpose. Deeds often have the owner's mailing address, and anything on the document is public information that we can't legally restrict. Most deeds do not have phone numbers, and we do not maintain files of addresses and phone numbers, so phone solicitors are likely getting your phone number from another source.

Q. I want to see everything affecting my property. Can I see my property file?
A. We do not maintain property files. We deal with recorded documents and everything is maintained by document number and grantor-grantee name. You can usually trace ownership history by viewing deeds in an official record search. There is no specific county agency that would have all types of records (deeds, easements, etc.) in one file per property. Title companies can be used to search this type of information, if appropriate.

Q. What if a birth, death or marriage was in another county? Can I still get the certificate from your office?
A. No, we only have records for events that occurred in Fresno County. For marriages, you must contact the county in which the license was issued. Call the County Recorder in the county in which the event occurred to find out how you can get your record. In most cases, you have options that do not require a visit.

Q. I am adopted. How can I get a copy of my original birth certificate?
A. Go to our Obtain Copies of Birth Certificates page to find out how you can obtain one.