General Information

Contact Dept

  • Phone:
    (559) 600-3141
  • Email:
  • Address:
    2220 Tulare St., Suite 1000
    Fresno, CA 93721
  • Email Department

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

How do I report a crime?

All crimes must be reported to the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over the city or county where the crime occurred. The law enforcement agency will refer the matter to the District Attorney's Office to determine whether charges should be filed.

How can I obtain a copy of a police report?

Police reports must be obtained from the law enforcement agency that generated the report.

What do I do if I get a subpoena?

A subpoena is a legal court order and must be obeyed as such. Please review the WITNESS INSTRUCTIONS section of your subpoena and note the contact number. If no number is listed, please contact the Fresno County District Attorney's Office at (559) 600-3157. Please reference the DA case number when calling.

Disobedience of a subpoena can result in a fine and/or jail sentence, so please be sure to contact the District Attorney's Office upon receipt of your subpoena.

See also Subpoena Information

If I am a victim of domestic violence and decide to drop charges, can I?

Since all criminal complaints are handled on behalf of the State of California, only a prosecutor, with the permission of a judge, can dismiss charges. You may, as the victim, discuss your concerns with a representative of the District Attorney's Office. Your concerns are important and will be taken into consideration. More on domestic violence...

If I am the victim of a violent crime, what services are available to me?

The Victim/Witness Assistance Program provides various services for victims of violent crime. You may also contact the Victims of Crime Compensation Program at (800) 777-9229.

Can the District Attorney's Office provide me with legal advice?

No. The District Attorney's Office is prevented by law from providing legal advice.

I want to file a complaint about a law enforcement officer. Can the District Attorney's Office help me?

 No. You will need to report the matter to the officer's employing agency. That agency is required by law to receive a complaint, investigate the matter and respond back to the complaining party.

Where can I find information about restraining orders?

The California Courts Self-Help website provides information about various types of restraining orders.

blue spacer

Victim/Witness Links 
Victims' Rights
Victims' Bill of Rights
Victim Resources
Witness Information
Case Information

Criminal Procedure
Anatomy of a Trial 
Tips on Testifying
Court Locations 

Useful Links 
CA Courts Self-Help
Jail Inmate Search
Law Enforcement #s
State Bar Victim Information