Obtain Copies of Death Certificates
We can provide certified copies of Death Certificates for persons whose death occurred in Fresno County. For persons whose death occurred in other counties, please contact that County's Recorder.
You may request copies of vital records in person, by mail, or online. Order online here: www.vitalchek.com
We DO NOT accept requests for copies, nor do we provide copies, by telephone, fax, or e-mail.
Please be sure the information you supply is complete and accurate. If you request a copy of a vital record and we must do a search to find that vital record and find nothing, we are not able to refund the fee. The California Statutes require us to retain the fee as a search fee.
Effective July 1, 2003, two kinds of Death Certificate copies are available: (1) Unrestricted Certified Copies, which can be used for identification purposes, and (2) Restricted or Informational copies which are not valid as identification documents.
Unrestricted Certified copies may only be issued to:
- A spouse, child, parent or grandparent of the decedent named on the death certificate
- A member of a law enforcement or other agency specified by law for purposes allowed by the law
To Order Unrestricted or Restricted copies of Death Certificates:
- Select one of the order forms from the table below
- Print it on your computer
- Fill the printed form out completely
- Mail or bring it with the required fee to the Fresno County Recorder's Office.
Our mailing address is: Fresno County Recorder, P. O. Box 766, Fresno, CA 93712
If you pay in person, a check, cash, or a money order for the full amount, payable to Fresno County Recorder, must accompany the order. If you order by mail, DO NOT send cash.