General Information

Contact Dept

  • Address:
    Hall of Records, 2281 Tulare Street, Room 201,
    Fresno, CA 93721
  • Phone:
    (559) 600-3534
  • Phone Hours:
  • Email Department

Property Records F.A.Q.

Q. How do I change the name on the Tax Bill Or Ownership Records?
A. In order to change the name as it appears on assessment records, a new deed should be recorded. Record the notarized deed in the Fresno County Recorder's Office along with a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report. Staff of the Assessor and Recorder are barred from giving legal advice. General information on how documents are recorded can be found here.

We recommend that you seek legal advice and assistance from an attorney before filling out documents that affect the ownership of your property.

Q. Will a Change In Ownership affect my Property Taxes?
A. A change in ownership may result in an increase to your property taxes. If a transfer is between parent and child or between spouses, it may be excluded from reassessment in certain circumstances.

Q. How do I report the death of a Property Owner?
A. To report the death of a property owner, you may fill out a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report and send it to the Assessor's Office with a copy of the death certificate. The death of a property owner is a change in ownership and may affect your property taxes. Failure to report the death may result in penalties. If the property is in a trust, you may want to review the trust papers with an attorney.

Q. What is an Affidavit of Death or an Affidavit of Death of a Joint Tenant?
A. This is a legal document that may be required by title companies or attorneys in order to make the death a matter of public record. The notarized document should be recorded in the Fresno County Recorder's Office with a certified copy of the death certificate.

Q. What information should appear on a Recorded Document?
A. The document must be typed or filled out legibly in ink. It should include a complete legal description of the property and the Assessors Parcel Number. A Preliminary Change of Ownership Report should be filed with the deed when it is recorded. The Fresno County Recorder can provide a complete list of document recording requirements.

Q. Where do I obtain blank deeds and other legal documents?
A. Many legal documents such as deeds and affidavits of death can be obtained at office supply stores. The Preliminary Change of Ownership Report is also available on the forms page of this website.

By State law, Fresno County Assessor/Recorder/County Clerk staff is not permitted to give legal advice or to assist in document preparation.